Friday, March 19, 2010

Fufilling Expectations Why?

Of the many characters in Great Expectations, the one that puzzles me the most is Able Magwitch. What I just cannot fathom is the amount of devotion he shows towards Pip. What fuel's that obsession to make Pip a gentleman. It can't just be that Abel feels indebted or that he sees himself in Pip. What makes this man forgo all thought of furthering his life to better the life of the blacksmith's boy. "Look'ee here, Pip. I'm your second father. You're my son-more to me nor any son. I've put away money, only for you to spend." ( 321)

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Dustin
    What is so important about the convict and why does he keep coming up?
    Possibly becuase he is a bit like Pip and feels guilty about something he has done in his younger years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the convict is so thankful towards Pip because he doubted that Pip would help him years ago, but he did which almost in a way saved his life.

    ReplyDelete